Sunday 14 March 2010

Peas Please

"So what would you like me to grow?" I ask the younger child.

"Peas." She smiles at me.

Peas. This is a good start. I love fresh picked peas - straight from the pod - tender and sweet. It reminds me of my own childhood, sitting with my Gran in the June sunshine podding peas - one for the pot and one for me. The kids love peas too, although whenever I give them peas to shell I come back to find nothing but satisfied children and a pile of empty pods.

"Good I'll grow a row of peas," I say. "What else."

"More peas."

There seems to be a bit of a theme here. It's fine though - I've already got some peas going in the greenhouse - I picked up a tray of them at the local hardware store a couple of days ago.

"Okay, two rows of peas then," I say.

"No, three rows."

Hmm, could be tricky. I don't just want to grow peas. Some other things would be nice. I decide not to press the issue.

A bit later I pop down to my greenhouse and I find that someone has been busy. There are lots of little pots rowed up inside that weren't there earlier, all filled with soil and each bearing a neat little plant label.

I look closer to see what she's been planting. Yes, you've guessed it.

Looks like I'm going to be growing lots of peas this year.

2 comments:

  1. Awwww

    Mushy peas. I absolutely adore mushy peas!

    And they have pretty little flowers before they become all pea-like?

    So yay for your little peas gardener!!

    More peas please!

    :-)

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete